Nowadays, battery energy storage system has become more popular with consumers. If you have solar photovoltaic panels in your home, you will find a great benefit to storing electricity in a battery and using it at night or on low-sunlight days. Before choosing a battery energy storage system, do you know how these batteries work? On this page, you will get an answer.
- How do household solar batteries work?
Household battery energy storage system is nothing new to the public. Off-grid solar photovoltaic (PV) and wind electricity generation on remote properties have long used battery storage to capture the unused electricity for later use.
When you add a battery to an existing rooftop solar system or install rooftop solar panels and a battery together in a new system, the excess solar energy not used at home during the day can be used to charge the battery. That’s to say; a battery captures any unused solar power generated during the day for later use at night and on low-sunlight days. Sound fascinating? That is where a solar-battery system can help to save money. Installations of battery energy storage systems are increasingly popular. There’s a real attraction to being as independent as possible from the grid; for most people, it’s not just an economic decision but also an environmental one.
- How to find the right solar battery?
Battery capacity, depth of discharge, battery duration, round-trip efficiency, battery lifespan & warranty options, battery types are vital factors that we need to consider when selecting the solar battery for the house.
- Battery capacity: Your battery’s capacity is how much energy – measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh) – it can store at once.
- Depth of discharge: The depth of discharge (DoD) is the amount of energy you can draw from a battery before impacting its lifespan. If you draw 100 percent of a battery’s charge, it will shorten the battery’s lifespan. The average home solar battery is 10 kWh. If that battery has a DoD of 80 percent, you wouldn’t want to consume more than 8kWh from the battery without allowing it to recharge. The higher the DoD, the more power you can pull from the battery at one time without causing harm.
- Battery duration: This measures how many hours a solar battery can run without recharging. Battery duration depends on the type of battery being used. On average, a utility-scale lithium-ion battery can run for up to 4 hours. Battery duration will increase with battery banks – or a collection of batteries working together. Keep in mind the less energy you consume, the longer a solar battery will power your home.
- Round-trip efficiency: This measures how efficiently a battery can run during one cycle. Like many items in your home, batteries need the energy to run. This means they will consume some of the energy that they store. Round-trip efficiency is the percentage of electricity you can get back from the battery after consuming the energy it needs. If the average 10kWh battery only lets you draw out 8kWh, that means it has an 80 percent round-trip efficiency.
- Battery lifespan & warranty options: A battery’s cycle consists of one charge and one discharge. Once a battery has been through multiple cycles, its ability to hold a charge will decrease. Warranties provide a guarantee that a battery will last a certain amount of cycles or years, often at a guaranteed capacity. For example, a solar battery distributor may offer you a battery with a warranty of 10 years or 5,000 cycles and guaranteed to retain an 80 percent battery capacity during that amount of time or cycles.
- Battery types: There are several different types of solar batteries, which can impact the efficiency of your solar panels.
- How much does a solar battery storage system cost?
Most residential grid-tied solar panels are paired with lithium-ion batteries, which cost anywhere from $7,000 to $14,000 to install. Some small-capacity lead-acid batteries can cost as little as $200, but they won’t be able to power much in your home and are typically used as emergency backup power for RVs.
At nRuiT, our home energy storage system will be more cost-effective and energy-efficient. Contact us to get your exclusive offer.
- Your Reliable Energy Battery Storage Supplier, nRuiT
Power Porter at nRuiT uses a high-performance lithium iron phosphate battery. Our home energy storage system applies to all types of photovoltaic panels.
View the Hot Products in nRuiT
If you need to ask a question about your nRuiT battery energy storage system, please feel free to contact our energy service experts! Contact us to get your exclusive offer!